Monday, January 15, 2018

Mop Philosophy Monday

 It seems like my entire house is covered with dust and filth, so today I have a long appointment with my Miele vacuum cleaner.
What I really wish I could do is open the windows and air out the entire place, scrubbing as I go.  It will likely be -20 or so outside today, however, so that's not going to happen.

I'm not buying new things for an extended period of time (as we discussed in Friday's post) and that goes for things for my home as well.  I feel like we've been renovating (which then results in more decorating) for many, many years.  It's nice to sit back and just enjoy, without seeking a change.

I have home goods fairly stockpiled, inherited sets of dishes come to mind, but also fabrics: stacks of fabrics for decorating that I have purchased and haven't yet sewn into anything.  I need to work through that pile before I buy anything else for the home... that could easily take two years.
 I have some rules in mind when I think about "no new things", and what I'm really thinking of are permanent items.  Clothes, decorative objects, kitchen items, linens and books.  I never thought I'd say that I'm not going to buy books, but we have so many I have run out of places to put them.  I also live literally right next door to the biggest library in town, so there's really no reason to purchase books at all.
Flowers and candles?  I will continue to purchase those things for the house, they add so much life and interest and they are not permanent items (much like food and booze).

Speaking of food, today I'll be cooking up the remains of last week's vegetable box before a new one arrives tomorrow: butternut squash, some rather large onions and red potatoes of varying sizes are still hanging around.

I could do a dish of sliced, layered vegetables, roasted at low temperature in the oven?

It's also mid-month, so there are taxes to file and accounts to reckon.  A varied day of chores today!
I hope your Monday proves productive for you,
xoxDani